SUMMER HAPPENINGS AT
ROCKY MOUNTAIN LODGE & CABINS
ROCKY MOUNTAIN LODGE & CABINS SUMMER NEWS:
If you're an outdoor enthusiast, summer is the BEST time of the year to visit Colorado Springs the Pikes Peak area. It's been several months since our last newsletter and much has happened since then. Read on for last minute summer getaways, a new featured attraction we've partnered with, upcoming local events, a recipe from the Bed & Breakfast Lodge, and what's new with the Reynolds family and the facilities...
|LAST MINUTE SUMMER GETAWAYS
We still have a few openings left for a Colorado getaway this summer...
Thinking about planning a last minute family reunion? We still have 2 openings left in the Lodge for this summer:
July 2nd thru 9th
August 22nd thru 29th
4 night minimum stay required. We can host up to 30 people in the Lodge and have beds to sleep up to 17 people.
The Cabin and Cottage are pretty full as well, but the following dates are still available:
May 30th, 31st & June 1st (3 nights); then booked solid until September 1st
May 30th & 31st (2 nights)
June 8th & 9th (2 nights)
July 30th & 31st (2 nights)
August 14th thru the rest of the summer (and fall)
|FEATURED LOCAL ATTRACTION
Rocky Mountain Lodge & Cabins is pleased to announce our new attraction partnership with Challenge Unlimited, offering guided mountain bike tours down the famous "America the Beautiful" Pikes Peak.
PIKES PEAK BY BIKE: A 20 mile downhill adventure from the summit of the world's most famous mountain...Pikes Peak. You meet early for breakfast, are fitted with helmets and bikes, then are driven via van up to the 14,110 foot summit of Pikes Peak. Then, you're off! As you descend down the mountain through five different life zones, each zone having a different climate, different vegetation and wildlife. Keep your eyes open for eagles, deer, elk, Rocky Mountain Big Horn sheep, black bears, marmots, and an occasional mountain lion. Your descent will take two-and-a-half to three hours. The ride finishes at the world-famous "Wines of Colorado," where you will be served lunch.
See all current our packages and the Pikes Peak attractions we partner with at our
- Operates May 1 - October 31 (weather permitting)
- 6:15am - 12:00pm
- $110 per person
UPCOMING LOCAL EVENTS
There is always a wealth of activities going on throughout Pikes Peak no matter what time of year you're visiting. Here are just a select few of the upcoming events, festivals, and activities. Visit our Calendar of Events Page to see more happenings throughout the upcoming year.
- June 7: Manitou Springs Colorado Wine Festival - The festival begins at Soda Springs Park from 12 noon to 6:00pm (wine tasting tickets go on sale at Noon, ticket sales end at 5:00pm). Twenty-two Colorado wineries will be pouring samples of the wines they produce. Live entertainment will be performed throughout the afternoon. Performers to be announced. Specialty food & wine related gift booths will also be located throughout the park. Manitou Springs, Colorado
- June 14 - August 3: Colorado Renaissance Festival - The 32nd Annual Colorado Renaissance Festival is held each weekend from June 14 through August 3. This eight-week extravaganza features court jesters and jousters, a King and his Queen, fun acts, turkey legs, a petting zoo, dashing knights, musical programs, comedians, artisans, and more. Castle Rock, Colorado
- June 27 - 29: Cripple Creek Donkey Derby Days - Now in its 77th year, this historic Cripple Creek festival attracts people from all over the world, drawn by a chance to watch a race featuring the town's resident donkey herd race, descendants of the original donkeys from Cripple Creek's Gold Rush days. Enjoy games, live entertainment, heritage competitions and other family activities at Donkey Derby Days, Cripple Creek's biggest event of the year. Cripple Creek, Colorado
- July 4 - 6: Buffalo Bar-B-Q - Food, crafts, Native American Dancers, Old West gunfight re-enactments, roping, pony rides, Colorado Buffalo & Barbecued Buffalo, as well as other treats. Free musical entertainment. Manitou Springs, Colorado
- July 19 - 26: El Paso County Fair - Demolition derby, "Bikes and Broncs" rodeo, Swamp Master's Gator Show, petting zoo, train show, Wild West Express, Red-40, Nocturnal Tomatoes, Flashback Studio, Bad Dogs, The Calf Branders, Sand Sculptures, Carnival, and more. Calhan, Colorado
- July 20: 85th Annual Pikes Peak International Hill Climb - Pikes Peak International Hill Climb is the world's highest auto race and one of the most grueling events in all of motor racing. The start line at 9,400 feet is high enough to leave anyone short of breath. And the climb to the towering 14,110 foot finish punishes drivers and their vehicles. Cascade, Colorado
- July 28 - August 3: US Senior Open - The U.S. Senior Open is one of the major championships in men's senior golf. It is administered by the United States Golf Association (USGA) and is recognized as a major championship by both the Champions Tour and the European Seniors Tour. Colorado Springs, Colorado
August 16 - August 17: 53rd Annual Pikes Peak Ascent and Pikes Peak Marathon
- The Pikes Peak Ascent® and Pikes Peak Marathon® will redefine what you call running. Sure, they start out like a lot of races on Any Street, USA. But your first left turn will have you turning in the direction of up! During the next 10 miles, as you gain almost 6,000 vertical feet, your legs, lungs, heart and mind will be worn to a ragged nothingness. But it won't be until your last three miles, with still over 2,000' of vertical to go, that you will realize where the Marathon got its moniker - America's Ultimate Challenge. There's a reason trees don't bother growing above 12,000' on Pikes Peak. They can't! Makes one wonder if trees are smarter than runners. Above treeline most runners take 30 minutes or more, some much more, just to cover a mile. What little air remains can't satisfy the endless stream of zombies hoping only to survive their next step-a death march right out of a scene from Dawn of the Dead. Adding insult to injury, it might start to snow! Then, if you are on the deluxe tour, you run back down for the second half of the Marathon.
August 30 - September 1: 32nd Annual Colorado Balloon Classic
- The Colorado Balloon Classic is an annual family event, admission is free, held each Labor Day weekend. Mass ascensions of over 100 balloons are scheduled for Saturday, Sunday and Monday mornings with a Balloon Glo® scheduled for Saturday and Sunday evenings. Each year a variety of concessions are available and entertainment is provided during each event.
2 (20 oz) cans Pineapple Tidbits, drained (reserve juice)|
1 (20 oz) can crushed Pineapple, drained (reserve juice)
3 (11 oz. each) cans Mandarin oranges, drained (juice discarded)
Drain juice from all of the above, reserving the pineapple juice - you will need 1 ¾ cups; set aside.
1 3/4 cups reserved pineapple juice
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Combine flour, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Stir in pineapple juice and eggs. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thickened. Add the lemon and juice and cool.
1 pkg. Acini de Pepe Pasta
Prepare Pasta according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water, and pour into a large bowl.
1 (8 oz) container Cool Whip
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup coconut
Combine Pasta, thickened juice mixture, cool whip, marshmallows and coconut. Store in an airtight container.
With the Reynolds' Family:
Our Grandbaby, Josiah, is now 8 months old, crawling, eating food, and cutting teeth. We just can't get enough of him! Mommy & Daddy (Bethany & James) have bought their first home, and settling into married life and parenthood quite nicely in Longmont, Colorado.
Our daughter Rachel, is currently in Ecuador on a 6 week missions trip, and will be getting married this December. She'll be moving to South Carolina after the wedding to join her marine husband who is stationed there (currently in Iraq).
Our son Nate, is a sophomore in college up in Boulder and loves it there, which is sad for us as it's tough to get him to come home and visit. He's also working a part time job on the side and learning how to juggle school, work, finances, friends, and family. It's a learning process!
So, we're officially empty-nesters. It's a good thing we have the business and all of our guests to keep us company!
With the Business:
As usual, we've been working on our never ending to-do list of projects.
You may notice in some of our materials that we've changed our name to "America's Rocky Mountain Lodge & Cabins". We're still the same, and still have the name "Rocky Mountain Lodge & Cabins". For various reasons this was a marketing decision, but please rest assured we're the same business and the business has not changed ownership.
We've put in a private outdoor hot tub at the Cabin out on the patio. So you can sit out and enjoy the beautiful mountain views while relaxing in your own private hot tub.
In order to try to get a little time off here and there to go visit our wonderful Grandbaby, we've hired some additional staff. We still have Jennie, our housekeeper who's been with us for the past 2 years, and an invaluable gem. And recently hired Colette, a local gal who helps us out with breakfast at times, as well as helping Jennie with the housekeeping. Make sure to say hello to them if you see them around while you're here.
REVIEW YOUR STAY WITH USHave you been our guest? Consider adding a review at one or more of the following. Some offer drawings for free stays at a Bed and Breakfast of your choice:
- Tell others about your stay and experience with us.
- Writing a review enters you into a drawing for a $250 BedandBreakfast.com Gift Certificate which can be redeemed at any participating BedandBreakfast.com inn.
- Writing a review enters you into a drawing for a $100 BnBFinder.com Gift Certificate to be used at participating BnBFinder.com inns.
GIFT CERTIFICATES AVAILABLE
Gift Certificates make a great gift for a wedding, anniversary, birthday, romantic getaway, thank you, or "just because". Gift Certificates can be purchased in any dollar amount. They work great for the recipient because they are open ended and they can apply them towards whatever lodging unit they want, and whatever dates they want. And they don't expire for 2 years from the date of purchase. So if you're not sure what to give someone, consider a Gift Certificate for a stay at the Rocky Mountain Lodge & Cabins. Click here to purchase a Gift Certificate.
Well, you should be somewhat caught up by now. But do check out our website because things are always changing and happening around here. Come and see us soon, we look forward to having you as our guests! And drop us an email and let us know how things are going with you. For those of you who were expecting babies while you were, do share!
Anyone have any pictures from your stay with us that you'd like to share? Weddings, Family Reunions, Romantic Getaways, etc... We're going to start a "Guest's Pics" page and would be happy to add your pictures to our page. Kind of an online scrapbook of sorts, so send us some of your pictures of your stay with us and we'll get that page build and have it up by our next newsletter.
Brian & Debbie Reynolds
Rocky Mountain Lodge & Cabins