Did you know you can purchase Gift Certificates from Rocky Mountain Lodge & Cabins? Gift Certificates can be used for lodging in any of our facilities (Cabin, Cottage, Bed and Breakfast, and even for Entire Lodge Rentals. They make wonderful Christmas, Anniversary, Birthday, and Thank You Gifts! And the recipient can have their choice of which unit or room they want to stay in, and the freedom of when they want to come. For more information click on the link below:
| Fall Extravaganza Package|
Enjoy the beauty of the fall season in the Rocky Mountains when the magnificent golden aspens are mixed with the everlasting green of the ponderosa pines and the reds, oranges and browns of other trees and bushes. We have put together a package for you to enjoy everything about the Pikes Peak region at its most brilliant time of year.
Stay 4 nights in our Colorado Bed and Breakfast Lodge from September 1st through October 31st and enjoy the following:
- 4 nights in the room of your choice in our Bed & Breakfast Lodge, including our signature 3 course breakfast each day
- A trip for two on the Cog Railroad up to the top of Pikes Peak
- A two hour horseback ride through Garden of the Gods
- A beautiful drive through one of Colorado's most beautiful scenic bypasses where the fall foliage will be outstanding. Map and a picnic lunch included.
- And a chuck wagon supper and cowboy show for two at the Flying W Ranch, a MUST DO while you are here in the area.
The peak time for fall foliage viewing is from mid-late September through early-mid October.
$262 plus cost of room of choice.
| Upcoming Local Events|
There's always something going on in Colorado Springs, Manitou Springs, Woodland Park, and the Pikes Peak Region. Here's some select highlighted events coming up over the next few months:
- September 1-3: Colorado Balloon Classic - The Colorado Balloon Classic is an annual family event, admission is free, held each Labor Day weekend. Mass ascensions of approximately 90 balloons are scheduled for Saturday, Sunday and Monday mornings with a Balloon GloŽ scheduled for Saturday and Sunday evenings. Each year a variety of concessions are available and entertainment is provided during each event.
- September 8: Pikes Peak Challenge - The Pikes Peak Challenge is a unique fundraising event held annually in September that encourages participants to experience the excitement and success of hiking to the summit of Pikes Peak. Participants may include survivors of brain injury, family members and community supporters
- September 14-16: Rockledge Ranch Annual Folk Art Festival - Co-sponsored with the Holly Berry House Folk Art Gallery. This event benefits the Ranch's restoration projects. Handcrafted folk art, antiques, live music, quilt exhibit, and silent auction.
- September 15-16: Above the Clouds Cruisers Vintage Car Show - The annual 2 day event hosts over 200 vintage, custom and classic cars & motorcycles.
- September 22-23: Rocky Mountain Octoberfest - Live music, Authentic German Brats, German Beer & Wine, Craft Show, Games Area for Kids to include Bounce House and Climbing Wall
- October 6: Rockledge Ranch Harvest Festival - In recognition of the bounty of a traditional Fall harvest, the Ranch is open free of admission on this day. The Chambers' 1880's farm will be filled with activities and fun in the crisp Autum air. Ride a pony or a horse drawn wagon, listen to old-time music, pick a pumpkin to take home. Fees apply to most activities.
- October 13: First Nations Day - Learn about the traditional and modern lives of American Indians through dance, story telling, food and art. Enjoy traditional foods like Fry bread and Indian tacos. Celebrate the rich and diverse lives of America's indigenous nations. Free admission.
- October 26-27: Emma Crawford Coffin Race, Parade and Wake - As featured on the Travel Channel, the world famous Manitou Springs event features a fun-filled weekend of pomp and circumstance, Coffins, Emma's, Costumes & Coffin Racing.
- Nov. 29-30, Dec, 1, 6-8, 13-15, 20-22: Glen Eyrie Castle Christmas Madrigal Banquet - A true Colorado Springs tradition! Let Glen Eyrie take you and your loved ones centuries away-spend an evening immersed in the joyous festivities of a Renaissance Castle Christmas! Enjoy a gourmet five-course meal, song, dance, and tales presented by the Lord and Lady of the Castle. Sit back and enjoy being treated like royalty for a night! A joyous and unforgettable way to usher in the season!
| Plan your Family Reunion Now!|
Need to reconnect with all your family and loved ones? It's the perfect time to start planning your family reunion! The Rocky Mountain Lodge is the perfect place for a small family reunion. The Lodge can host up to 40 people, and between the Lodge, Cabin, and Cottage, has beds to sleep up to 30. There are a number of other inns in the area for overflow if more room is needed. There's a wealth of activities to do for all ages. Consider the following activities for your families:
- Pikes Peak (you can get to the top by driving, taking the cog railroad, hiking, or even biking!)
- Garden of the Gods Red Rock Park
- Royal Gorge Bridge, Park & Train
- Cave of the Winds
- Manitou Cliff Dwellings
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
- Seven Falls
- Horseback Riding
- Whitewater Rafting
- Jeep Tours
- Hot Air Balloon Flights
- Focus on the Family
- Fly Fishing
And while staying at the Lodge enjoy the 2+ acres the Lodge is on, the large patio for relaxing and BBQ's, the gazebo for catching up on, enjoy the great room in the Lodge for playing cards, games, and enjoying an evening fire in the fireplace, and the kitchen is ample sized for you to prepare meals for your family, or feel free to cater in or enjoy the many area restaurants.
The Lodge tends to book quite a bit in advance for the summer months or holidays (Christmas and Thanksgiving are popular times - Christmas tends to book about a year or so in advance). And if you have family attending Colorado College or the Air Force Academy, book VERY early for these events (sometimes 2-3 years in advance).
|Write a Review|
Have you been our guest? Consider adding a review at one or more of the following. Some offer drawings for free stays at a Bed and Breakfast of your choice:
- Trip Advisor - Tell others about your stay and experience with us.
- BedandBreakfast.com - Writing a review enters you into a drawing for a $250 BedandBreakfast.com Gift Certificate which can be redeemed at any particiating BedandBreakfast.com inn.
- BnBFinder.com - Writing a review enters you into a drawing for a $100 BnBFinder.com Gift Certificate to be used at participating BnBFinder.com inns.
Each newsletter we'll feature one of our signature recipes we serve at the Lodge. If you enjoy our receipes, consider purchasing one of our cookbooks. We have a number of cookbooks with our recipes in our Gift Shop, which can be found at our website.
This issue's recipe was featured as one of the favorites in the nationally published cookbook "America's Best Lodge Recipes" and is shown on the cover of their cookbook. The cookbook can also be purchased in our Gift Shop. Enjoy this issue's featured recipe:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare 12 muffin cups. Tip: I like to use Silicone muffin cups because no preparation of the pans need to be done, just pour the batter right in, and they never stick.
1 1/4 c. oats
1 c. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp each: salt, nutmeg & baking soda
1/3 c. coarsely chopped pecans
1 c. pumpkin puree
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. vegetable or canola oil
1/4 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
In large bowl, stir together oats, flour, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, baking soda, and pecans; set aside.
In medium bowl mix together pumpkin, brown sugar, oil, egg, milk, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Pour into prepared muffin cups; set aside.
1/4 c. oats
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
3 T. chopped pecans
1/4 c. butter, diced
In small bowl stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, and pecans. Use a pastry blender or two knives to cut in butter until mixture resembles the size of peas. Sprinkle evenly over muffin batter.
Bake 15 - 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool in the muffin pans a few minutes before removing.
Makes 12 muffins.