FEBRUARY 2004 RECIPE
ROCKY MOUNTAIN LODGE BED AND BREAKFAST [web site]
CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 ½ cups sugar
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
3 egg yolks
½ cup plus 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
½ cup all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 Tbsp water
¾ cup finely chopped pecans
3 egg whites, at room temperature
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1/8 tsp. salt
*You can pour the icing over the entire cake and garnish with pecan halves before slicing, and allow to cool, then slicing it at serving time.
- Line bottom of 9" springform pan with aluminum foil; butter foil and side of pan. Set aside.
- Combine ¾ cup melted butter, the sugar and vanilla in large mixer bowl; beat well. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in cocoa, flour, oil and water; beat well. Stir in chopped pecans.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in small mixer bowl until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until top begins to crack slightly. (Cake will not test done in center.) Cool 1 hour. Cover; chill until firm. Remove side of pan.
- Prepare Icing at serving time. Cut cake into 12 slices, and place each slice on a serving plate. Pour icing over each slice of cake, allowing it to run down the sides of each slice. Garnish with pecan halves.*
1 1/3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Combine chocolate chips and cream in small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth; do not boil.
½ cup heavy or whipping cream
Back to Main Recipes List