BRIE and SAUSAGE STRATA
|Brie & Sausage Strata|
We serve stratas at our Bed and Breakfast Inn frequently, and especially at holidays as many of them you can make the day before, refrigerate it, and put them in the oven in the morning for no fuss. Works great on Christmas mornings so the family can enjoy the festivities in the morning while breakfast is cooking in the oven. This particular strata is our son’s favorite strata. It’s elevated by the use of brie cheese, though we often use Jarlsberg cheese, or you could use Swiss as well. Enjoy!
BRIE AND SAUSAGE STRAT
- 1 8oz pkg. whole brie (alternately you may use Jarlsberg or Swiss cheese)
- 1 pound ground hot pork sausage
- 6 white sandwich bread slices, or 1 loaf day old french bread
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 7 large eggs, divided
- 3 cups whipping cream, divided
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp dried rubbed sage or 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped sage
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- Trim and discard rind from brie, cut into
cubes (if using Jarlsberg or Swiss, shred cheese).
- Cook sausage in large skillet over
medium high heats, stirring until it
crumbles and is no longer pink, drain. Cut crusts from bread slices, and place
crusts evenly in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13
baking dish, or 8 2-cup ramekins. Layer evenly with bread slices,
sausage, brie and grated parmesan cheese.
- Whisk together 5 eggs, 2 cups of whipping
cream and the next 4 ingredients and pour
evenly over cheeses. Cover and chill 8
hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Whisk together 2 remaining eggs and
remaining 1 cup of whipping cream and pour
over chilled mixture. Bake for 1 hour, or until set. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings
All content in this blog © Rocky Mountain Lodge & Cabins