Eggs Benedict are by far my favorite breakfast food. I could eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, all the time. They’re actually pretty easy to make, and there are many variations to them.The thing that makes them so decadent is the Hollandaise Sauce. Here is my recipe on how to make Hollandaise Sauce.
Making poached eggs can be a challenge until you know some of the tricks of the trade. Here are some tips about poaching eggs:
- Make sure to use fresh eggs. To tell if an egg is fresh, put it in a bowl of water. If it sinks, it’s fresh, if it comes up from the bottom a little use it soon, it’s on it’s way out. If it floats, it’s bad, throw it out.
- Crack your egg into a small bowl to make sure the yolks don’t break.
- Bring your water to 180°F on the stove. Add a teaspoon of vinegar to the water.
- Place your egg in a strainer over a bowl and allow any of the whites that may be separated to drain out, this will prevent you from having all those “whispy” strings in the water, and the egg will stay whole.
- Carefully drop your egg from the strainer in the water and it will stay whole and cook in about 3-4 minutes.
- Drain eggs on a paper towel to remove the excess water. Easy peasy!
If you don’t want to poach your eggs, you can also fry and egg and use a fried egg, it will work as well.
There are many variations to Eggs Benedict that I like to make. Instead of the traditional English Muffins, I personally love Everything Bagels. You can put Canadian Bacon on them, or lox, salmon, bacon, sausage, or even wilted spinach.
Make Mexican Eggs Benedict by putting some whole green chilies on under the eggs and adding some chili powder or chipotle seasoning over the Hollandaise Sauce. And instead of using Canadian bacon, try some chorizo instead.
Make Italian Eggs Benedict by by putting a thick tomato slice under the eggs along with some fresh basil leaves, and drizzle some Balsamic Glaze over the Hollandaise Sauce.
This recipe, and 499 others can be found in our cookbook “Rocky Mountain Lodge & Cabins’ MORE Favorites Recipes” which can be purchased at our Gift Shop.
And if you’re looking for a Colorado getaway, check out our Cascade Luxury Suite at Rocky Mountain Lodge in the mountain community of Cascade, at Pikes Peak, near Colorado Springs, Manitou Springs, Woodland Park, and Green Mountain Falls.